Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer Project #8 Happy Birthday Banner

I had to take a week off from sewing. I needed to do some parenting professional development. Thanks to the public library and nap-time, that is done. I'm now ready to parent twins during the toddler years (eyeroll) and I'm fully versed on 1-2-3 Magic (it really is magic). Now, if there was a book that I could read that would make the babies sleep longer than 30-45 minutes at a time, that would be great.

Anyway, I did put together this little number.


It didn't take as much time as I thought it would. I cut out 13 5 1/2 x 7 1/2 pieces of muslin and 13 pieces of equal size of my fabulous fabrics (this is a great way to show off your fabric collection). I used heat and bond to secure the letters to the fabrics. I used biased tape that I made with this little number (I have the 1 inch size) to secure the letters together. I've made bias tape before, but this made the whole process so much faster and therefore, worth it to make your own.

I'm hoping it will be something special for the girls to hang when it's their birthday. Something they will remember and look forward to (and a way for me to remember my favorite fabrics ;).

I really want to make name banners for my three girls. What a great, inexpensive way to decorate a child's room.

Let me know if you are interested in one or want more instructions on how I made it. There's a "email me" button on my blog.

P.S. RIP MJ....

Edited to add: When my almost 3 year old came out of her room from her "nap" she saw the banner and said, "That says, 'I love Jill'". Yes, sweetheart, yes, it does :) :) :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my this is sew cute (pun intended) - both the banner & the "I love Jill" comment! I cannot believe that no one commented on that!!

    Your blog is so cute as are the great items in your shop. You seem VERY talented. I lived in Houston for years; where in Houston are you? I studied at MDACC & lived near there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided days before my son's birthday (it's this sunday) that I want to make him a banner to use year after year.

    I was wondering if you could explain step by step as if talking to your youngest child? ;)

    Brandy dot M dot Jackson at gmail dot com

    No offense if you can't find the time, but I did want to take the time & say great job!

    ReplyDelete